DJJ employees, facility and office managers, regional training coordinators and the DJJ Training Academy located at the Georgia Public Safety Training Center lacked access to shared training records. The system was paper intensive, and time was lost in training course registration. Because scheduling class registrants depended on spreadsheets, information was difficult to obtain and not easy to share among those who needed to know. Employees had no self-serve mechanism to see their training records other than through PeopleSoft (which was often not complete), and facility directors and training coordinators could not easily access and review staff training records or scheduling information for their office or facility in a timely manner. Further, training records for employees were not updated timely or, in some cases, not updated at all.
- Develop a web-based, networked software and database system to allow employees, managers, training coordinators, registrars, instructors, and Training Academy staff to easily and quickly share training records. The solution had to meet a variety of needs:
- Reduce paper intensive manual processes by automating workflows
- Offer online submission of training requests
- Have an online registrar function
- Provide Real-time notification to employee and manager of training acceptance into a class
- Have automatic updates to TRIS employee training records when staff complete online training successfully
- Have the capability for managers and training coordinators to run online reports showing who had been trained in a particular class, who lacked training and manage the scheduling of staff to attend training
- Provide management data on successful completions and failures and improve class management of cadets attending academy
- Provide a location to manage professional certification and licensing of employees, such as doctors, nurses, teachers, mental health psychiatrists and clinicians, etc.
- Provide an easily accessible employee self-serve where employees could ensure their training records were correct
Developed a SharePoint Intranet site using .NET, SQL Server, and InfoPath to create a database and software web-based application to accommodate shared network access of training records for those who have a need to know.
- Enables staff to register for DJJ Basic Juvenile Correctional Officer and In Service Training online
- Facilitates centralized management of course seats in shared course sections
- Provides for easy employee self-serve access
- Automatically updates training records upon completion and passing or failing of online tests
- Provides online training for our Juvenile Parole Probation Specialists, Mental Health and Health Service Professionals in service training with automatic updates to their training records upon pass/fail
- Centralizes and shares records on staff’s professional licenses and certifications with automated alerts of expirations and need for renewal of license or certifications. (teachers, clinicians, psychiatrists, doctors, nurses, behavioral health counselors, transportation officers, etc.)
- Provides management reports for local office/facility, district office, regional office, DJJ statewide, and Training Academy
- Captures non-DJJ Training such as accounting course work, technology certificates, staff policy training such as HIPAA training, etc.
- Saves data entry time and improves training record accuracy
- Automates instructors class registry